The liver is one of the most important and hardest working organs in the body. It plays a role in digestion, immunity, metabolism and the storage of nutrients. Because of this, it’s essential that you give your liver some love and ensure it is working optimally!
Your health depends on how well your body removes and purges toxins. With exposure to environmental toxins, toxic body care products and processed foods, almost daily, most people can do with support in this area.The liver works to detoxify our blood, produces bile needed to digest fats, breaks down hormones, and stores essential vitamins, minerals, and iron.
When the liver does not function well, we cannot digest our food properly, especially fats. This can lead to weight gain, fatty liver, microbial overgrowth, sleep challenges, skin issues, and so much more!
Signs of an Unhealthy Liver:
- Bloating, Gas, Poor Appetite
- Acid Reflux or Heartburn
- Skin and/or Eyes that are Yellowish (a symptom of Jaundice)
- Inability to Lose Weight
- Moodiness, Anxiety or Depression
- Chronic Fatigue & Disrupted Sleep (especially between 1-3am)
- Excessive Sweating or Smelly Sweat
Fortunately, you can help improve your liver’s function!
3 things your liver needs to detoxify your body well include:
- Great Sleep – Growth Hormone spikes between 10pm-2am which is critical for our body to repair itself. Loss of sleep during this time can add stress to our body and slows its repair process. Making organs have to work harder to keep up. Our liver cleans our body between 1-3am. If you wake up during this time, it’s often a sign of liver toxicity and your liver overworking. Improving your sleep quality (reducing the amount of times you wake up) along with getting to bed (and asleep) by 10pm is ideal to support your liver. Supplements like Metagenics Benesom or DFH NeuroCalm can help to calm your mind, body and nervous system down so that you can sleep deeper, and longer.
- Daily Bowel Movements – We pee, poo or sweat out toxins from the body. If one of these drainage pathways are blocked or backed up, we will be holding onto waste, toxins, foreign microbes, excess hormones, ect. in our body longer than needed. If food can not be properly broken down and sits in your stomach or intestines for too long, it can ferment causing gas, bloating, acid reflux, ect. This also creates an environment for foreign gut microbes to live and breed in, making gut issues worse.
- Supportive Nutrients – Helps to eliminate the buildup of heavy metals, prescription medications/birth control, environmental pollutants, alcohol, ect. from the liver.
Things like: DFH Detox AntiOx, Milk Thistle, Dandelion or Turmeric are great for supporting liver detox.
Ensuring that your functions optimally is critical for your overall health and needed to keep extra pounds off your body. Especially now, when we are entering a season where there may be more alcohol or treats than normal. It’s important to start supporting your liver and ensuring your body is detoxing well.